Wednesday, April 16, 2008

First Post

Here it is ~ first blog entry. And, Diane, since you are the only one who will know about this, consider it personally done for you. :) Today I felt especially inspired to go ahead and get it moving. Not good timing considering that I have a to-do list about 12 hours long, but when inspiration strikes we need to listen right?

So, what's behind my blog name?

REASON TO BELIEVE

Not only is Reason to Believe the title of my very favorite Springsteen song, but I feel like it is the phrase that I have been living by each day. Many days I let the Reason run by me without a thought, but today it struck me pretty hard in the face, and, well here I am online.

Last night at our PTA general membership meeting I was awarded the Golden Acorn Award. I am humbled to have been given this award. Humbled is an understatement. Never did I think I would even be nominated. The Golden Acorn (in case you don't know) is the highest honor that a PTA can award a volunteer and represents service to the greater good of the school that goes 'above and beyond' the call of duty. Me? I certainly didn't think so. But, apparently some people did, and I got the award. I was floored and it was amazing and I am so thankful.

Well, I've been thinking about this all day today. Why me? Who nominated me? Do I really deserve this, because there are probably other people out there who are thinking "Why Samantha??". But, as I was driving on my errands just a little bit ago I realized that this honor is a message to me to appreciate my gifts - and I'm not talking about awards and iPods and stuff like that. I'm talking about my intangibles. The things that give me a reason to believe in myself, my life, my family, my purpose.

When Katie started first grade I cut my hours down at work so that I could be home each afternoon when the kids got off the bus. It was a hard thing to do and I still struggle with feeling like I'm 'giving enough' at work to get my full time workload completed in 30 hours a week. I worry and fret about it all the time in light of the fact that my reporting relationship is changing soon and I'm not sure if my new boss will be as supportive as my current boss has been. Coupled with this is the fact that I overcommitted myself this past year in a gargantuan way! I have been the PTA newsletter editor at school for three years, am on the PTA board, chair the Children's Council committee at church, sit on the church council committee, teach Sunday School, assist as a leader in the planning of our Vacation Bible School program, participate in an intensive 32-week bible study with daily reading requirements and a 2-hour weekly meeting, take Katie to dance once a week, attempt to write a memoir, etc........etc.......etc......

I'm not complaining ~ although recently I have been. I turned down my seat on Children's Council for the next year (my term will end in June) and I'm looking for a new newsletter editor for PTA. I have decided that it's time for the pendulum to swing in the opposite direction and for me to get time for me. THAT'S ENOUGH has been my motto!!!

But, I feel like it's time for me to step back and remember my reasons. I cut back my hours for my family and I can honestly say I've never been happier in my life than I have been since I did it. I do the newsletter so that I can be involved at school even though I can't physically be there. I have been on Children's Council at church so that I can be an active participant in the spiritual education and growth of my children. I go to bible study to keep myself grounded in the reality that my life is a gift from God.

I have so many reasons to believe. The most important reasons give me kisses every night before bed. Other reasons fade in and out of my life but are always there to smack me in the face when I need a hefty reminder.

I am so blessed. I need to believe that, and remember it, and appreciate it. I am thankful that I received that award. And I appreciate it.

Now - I must get on with my 12 hour to-do list. You think I'm exaggerating, but I'm so not. Tomorrow I'm off to Wenatchee to pick up Krisann, who is one of my most wonderful reason to believe, so that we can go to a scrapbooking retreat in Chelan until Sunday! Yippee! Time for me!

2 comments:

Diane said...

I LOVE it! I wanna link ya. Can I? Now you need TWITTER!

krisannmarie said...

I love it & you. You keep me going, and going, and going.... :)