Friday, October 10, 2008

Long time...No Write

Here goes...another entry. It's been about three months so I guess it's time.

What has happened in the last three months that remind me of my Reasons to Believe?

  • Junior High: I loved it and I hated it. In retrospect, I really only hated it. In fact, as I start thinking about it I realize all of the writing I could do just recounting the horror stories of 7th through 9th grade. But, this Reason really has nothing to do with me. Ryan started 7th grade in September. I am fairly certain that I was worked up into much more of a fear frenzy about it than he was. I gave him a talk about bullying, and mean kids, and getting exposed to all kinds of stuff (like talk about sex, profanity, drugs, etc.). Well, we're about 45 days in and so far, so good. I think he's a natural. I know - early poll results should never be reported for fear of making the wrong prediction. But, this kid is doing good things - and I am feeling so much better about it all. He is a constant reminder that I need to BELIEVE more, and WORRY slightly less. ;)
  • Being a girl: I have always loved that I am a girl. Truly. I have always felt thankful to God that I was born a female in the United States. I don't mean anything sexist about it - I just mean that I think that I have to endure less (basically I'm lazy and I get the easy way out a lot of the time) because of it. As I am growning up (notice the tense - this is still a work in progress) I find myself even more thankful that I have a daughter [who is EXACTLY LIKE ME, BTW] who is also a female in the United States. We share girl stuff. There are so many things that are just ours because we are girls. Looks, giggles, knowing grunts. She loves me - and I BELIEVE that it will never end. Might get strained - but it will never end. I have no worry on that one. A first?
  • ABBA: OK - I don't think I can type a B backward on my keyboard, so I'm spelling it the "wrong" way - arrest me. I have had the chance to relax and enjoy a few times this summer thanks to ABBA and the crazy little movie that features their music. It started in '07 when I saw the musical with Krisann in Vegas - and as soon as I heard there would be a movie I knew I HAD to see it. Twice now - once with friends Karrie and Deana, once with Karrie (again! :) ), Kindra (sis-in-law), and Karrie's sis-in-law. I'm left with a perma-grin after that movie and I love it all the more because of the experience of sharing it with my girlies. Pure joy!

Hmmm...Lots of others are coming to mind - but I think I'll stop right here for now, because maybe if I leave a few things unsaid I'll actually get back on here and write more.

Here's a teaser for you (and a way to remind myself what to write about):

  • Grandma's broken ankle
  • Family Reunion
  • Planning to go to Vegas with "Sprenger Girls"
  • Wanting to do more writing
  • Appreciating work through the financial crisis
  • Ryan's first drama class performance
  • Scrapbooking for a whole weekend with my sweethearts
  • Loving being an aunt
  • Winning on the radio

Well, if that doesn't whet your whistle, it certainly whet's mine. I'll be back - and until then I hope there's someone out there reading this besides me...

1 comment:

Karrie Zylstra-Myton said...

Hey, girl. Great blog! Now all I have to do is figure out how to link it to mine.:)

And please do post again. I ask that selfishly, of course, because your stories bring me such joy.

And I, too, had a miserable time in junior high. TOTALLY miserable. It's made me stronger but I so don't want my son to have to get stronger that way.

And...great picture! I am retaking mine ASAP.